Root Cause Analysis
Most organizations have accident investigation procedures. However, these procedures are often based on a blame culture & do not inspire the investigator to nd & correct the defects in the management system (root causes) that allowed the hazards to exist & the accident to occur.
Several industries have adopted excellent accident investigation & analysis techniques. Competence in the application of modern accident/incident investigation tools will assist organizations to learn & to prevent the recurrence of accidents & to evaluate the extent & location of management defects (root causes), which contributed to the accident event. A good analytical accident investigation is invaluable to achieve continuous improvement in an organization’s HSE performance.
- Adopting Accident Prevention strategy thru Risk Management
- Understanding how accidents are caused
- The process & system view of accidents & accident investigations
- The need for & benefits of Root Cause Analysis
- Introductions, Expectations & Anticipations
- Dening Incidents, Accidents, Near Misses, Dangerous Occurrences
- Categorizing Incidents according to nature & severity
- Complying with the Legal Requirements for reporting & investigating accidents
- Understanding Immediate, Underlying & Root Causes & Causal Factors
- The four stages of an Investigation Process
- Case Study & Group Activity
- Video-based Case Studies & Group discussions
- The various sources & categories of evidence
- Collecting & Preserving Evidence
- Common Pitfalls in Observations
- Configuration & Levels of the Investigation Team
- Immediate response in case of an accident
- Emergency procedures, Crisis handling & loss minimization
- Taking control of the scene (Immediate Response)
- Elective practical interviewing tips & techniques
- Role Play Group Exercises
- Analyzing evidence & information
- Identifying immediate causes, root causes, and system causes
- Using CLC Charts for Analysis
- Using 5-Why & Fish-bone techniques to re-enforce CLC Analysis
- Sifting and sorting evidence & information
- Incident Timeline – Data Mapping
- Understanding the problems using Building blocks
- Identifying critical factors
- Case Study & Group Exercises
- An Overview of Root Cause Elimination
- Understanding & applying the Hierarchy & symmetry of controls
- Addressing the personal, job & organizational factors in the recommendations
- Overview of Solution Implementation
- Identifying human factors & Understanding Human Errors
- Modifying & influencing behaviors
- Case Study & Group Exercise
- Corrective Measures, Recommendations
- Developing an Implementation Plan & organizing its Implementation
- Report Writing
- Action Tracking & Closure monitoring
- Trend Analysis
- Define the accident/incident event
- Understand modern accident causation theories
- Define all accident investigation and analysis stages
- Carry out Initial actions in response to accidents and incidents
- Gather evidence and data relevant to the accident investigation
- Interview witnesses
- Analyze the role of human factors involved in accident investigation
- Compile accident reports and remedial action plans
- Gain familiarity with modern accident analysis techniques
- The use of accident investigations as a management audit tool
- To locate and dene active human error, preconditions, and root causes
- Report writing and compilation
This workshop is intended for all staff roles in engineering, technical, and supporting departments with responsibility for ensuring safety in the workplace and for conducting, leading, reviewing, and approving incident investigations.
Akhtar Quddus, is a Senior Safety Consultant and Master Creative Trainer with over 30 years of professional experience. He has worked with oil & gas, chemical & petrochemical, fertilizer, engineering, construction, transportation & heavy cargo lifting & haulage companies in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, UAE, Oman, Malaysia, Singapore, Azerbaijan, South Korea, and India.
He has trained, evaluated and certied over 25,000 Safety Critical Personnel for BP Pakistan, OMV, BHP, ENI, MOL, Schlumberger, Krakow, Deutag, JSL, DESCON, Siemens, KESC, etc. and other clients including Control of Work Standard, Incident Investigation Team Leaders , Permit to Work Authorized Persons, Energy Isolation Authorities, Conned Space Supervisors, Crane Operators and Riggers, Rigging Supervisors, Scaolding Supervisors, Scaolding Inspectors, etc.
- Developed Control of Work Standard procedures for BP Pakistan E&P Inc. in the areas of Incident Investigation & Root Cause Analysis, Permit to Work, vestigation & Root Cause Analysis, Permit to Work, Energy Isolations, ABC Analysis, Conned Space Lifting Operations, Lifting Risk Assessment, Excavations & Trenching, Management of Change, Driving/ Vehicle Safety, Contractor Safety Management System, Hazard Identication, HIRARC, etc.
- Conducted incident investigations for high impact incidents at Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Ltd.
- Conducted HAZOP Studies for SABIC, Saudi Aramco & SWCC Plants in Saudi Arabia.
- Conducted Fire Risk Assessments for BP Pakistan, BOC Gases Ltd.
- Conducted & implemented Behavior Based Safety programs, implementation & audits for NOMAC.
- Conducted HSE Management systems (OHSAS 18001 & ISO-14001) Audits & Gap analysis.
- Conducted HSE Climate Surveys and Trending.
- NEBOSH (UK) International General Certicate approved trainer
- NEBOSH (UK) International Technical Certicate for Oil & Gas Safety approved trainer
- IOSH (UK) Managing Safely & Working Safely licensed trainer
- CIEH (UK) Level 4 H&S in the Workplace licensed trainer
- CIEH (UK) Risk Assessment Principles & Practice licensed trainer
- CIEH (UK) Principles of COSHH licensed trainer
- OHSAS 18001 Lead Auditor
|Code||Start Date||End Date||Locations||Cost||Instructor||Register|
|PST0345-202301||04 Dec, 2023||07 Dec, 2023||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia||USD 2395||Akhtar Quddus||Register|