Senior Manager, Petroleum Services Group of Deloitte - London
Ian Thomson worked for BP for 17 years where was a Senior Gas Negotiator from 1990 to 1994. He concluded several gas sales and gas transportation negotiations. He subsequently joined Texaco Global Gas and Power where he worked on gas contracts in Czech and Slovak Republics, Denmark and UK as well as business development in the UK, mainland Europe and Kazakhstan. From 2002 to 2006 Ian worked with Petroleum Economics Limited where he advised PTT in Thailand on gas contracts and markets as well on some of their international projects. During this period he worked on gas pricing and contracts for SASOL in South Africa.
Ian joined the Petroleum Services practice in London in May 2005 as a consultant Senior Manager. He specialises in strategic, commercial, market and transmission aspects of oil and gas and has a deep understanding of regulatory and institutional arrangements, both upstream and midstream.
Ian has advised a number of African, European, US, Asian, Middle Eastern, and Australian oil and gas companies, energy buyers, utilities and banks on commercial and contractual aspects of oil and gas projects, in midstream and upstream issues. He has advised over 20 governments on oil and gas, LNG, LPG and oil concession terms, regulation/industry structure, development policy, energy export options, contractual matters and financial claims. He has worked for many upstream developers worldwide. He has also acted as project manager of several major World Bank gas projects.
- Ian has been an Expert Witness in respect of gas flows and capacity planning at and away from the St Fergus terminal. While at BP and Texaco he worked with transportation and processing agreements on the Frigg system. Recently for Deloitte he reviewed the regulatory system at the St Fergus terminal.
- Gas and LNG contract negotiation – Ian is responsible for preparing and presenting external Deloitte courses on LNG and gas; trainer at workshops on Gas and LNG contracts e.g. in Singapore and Malaysia (2014) and Indonesia (2015)
- Joint Venture and JOA agreements for ventures in UK, Vietnam, Central Asia. Gas pricing – expert work for LCIA for a major buyer of gas in Europe, on European gas contracts, pricing and also LNG options for a particular seller. Involved analysis of key terms of gas supply contracts with Gazprom as well as other suppliers and terms for access to markets (2012).
- Gas pricing and key contract terms in 30 countries for a German client (2012)
- Gas pricing and key commercial parameters for an upstream player to enter markets in Brazil and the Far East (2014)
- Assistance as Subject Matter Expert on gas pricing in UK and Dutch sector and tariff setting, as part of the successful sale transaction for the TGGP gas terminal in the UK (2012) - Review of pricing of peak gas for Petoro (mid 2000s) and further analysis in Review of gas and gas transmission pricing for legacy contract for a gas sale and gas swap arrangements (Board Gais purchase by Blackrock) (2013).
- Reviewing adequacy of gas and gas transportation use contracts in India (Reliance), gas sale support for KNOC (Vietnam) (Rong Doi field) and support for firewall checking of contracts for the Milford Haven Qatargas II LNG terminal start up. Contractual issues, pricing and contractual risk management of setting up a new LNG terminal in Hong Kong