- Over 40 years of international experience in petroleum exploration, development, and producing project evaluations
- Specialized in providingunique expertise in integrating deterministic and probabilistic resource assessment techniques and reporting
- Served on the SPE Oil and Gas Reserves Committeein 2006/7, involved in mapping petroleum resources classification systemsand the PRMS project
- SPE Distinguished lecturer in 2005/6
- Professional affiliations in AAPG, SPE , EAGE and SPEE
- Published over 20 articles relating to petroleum reserves assessment and evaluation
Distinguished Course Instructor BIO
John Etherington is the Managing Director of PRA International Ltd., a Calgary-based consulting firm advising industry on resources assessment, reserves disclosures, and portfolio management processes. He previously spent over 32 years with Mobil Oil in Canada, USA, and international Exploration and Producing assignments including five years in Mobil’s central resources audit group.
John served on the SPE Oil and Gas Reserves Committee with primary responsibility for the 2006 mapping of major international petroleum resources classification systems and the 2007 PRMS project. He also coordinated SPE’s interface with the United Nations Framework Classification and the International Accounting Standards Board’s Extractive Activities projects. He was an SPE Distinguished lecturer in 2005/6, has presented papers on resources evaluation issues at AAPG, EAGE, and SPE conferences, and conducted training for over 1000 geoscientists and engineers from 46 countries.
John’s Selected Client List:
- Nexen Inc.
- Talisman Energy
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation
- ElPaso Corporation
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
- Cairn India
- BHP Billiton